Return To The Farmersville Real Estate  Home Page Exclusive Farmersville Real Estate Listings About Farmersville, Texas How to Reach Me

About Farmersville, Texas

Farmersville photo collage

Farmersville is a growing community of over 3,000 residents. It has a reputation as a place where friends are easy to make and the people are always helpful. You'll find Farmersville to be a pleasant break from the hectic lifestyles of Plano, Allen, and Dallas. There are several excellent diners, restaurants, and cafes in the town center as well as typical fast food purveyors on US 380 and US 78. The nearest Walmart SuperCenter is approximately 10 miles South on US 78 in Wylie. Home Depot and Office Max have stores in McKinney, just 15 miles to the West. Several 18-hole courses are within easy driving distance. Crappie fishing is excellent on the North end of Lake Lavon. Public access boat ramps with parking are within two miles.

Blevins Kinkade GalleryThe town has an active Chamber of Commerce and a highly rated public school system. The rejuvenated town square is surrounded by eateries and antique stores. The Thomas Kincade Gallery offers exclusive paintings by Thomas Kincade. The Farmer's Market (located at the Onion Shed) offers fresh, locally grown, vegetables and fruit the first Saturday of each month. A new, 4 lane parkway links the downtown area with US Highway 78.

Farmersville has a number of lovely Victorian era homes east of the town square and Business 78.

History and Background

Excerpt from the UT Handbook of Texas online

Farmersville, at the intersection of U.S. Highway 380 and State Highway 78 in east Collin County, was founded about 1849 by settlers who named the community after their principal occupation. An earlier settlement known as Sugar Hill had been started in 1845 by the John Yeary family two miles northeast of the site of present-day Farmersville but was abandoned when its residents moved to Farmersville in 1854. The post office was established in 1857, with Thomas E. Sherwood as its first postmaster. William Gotcher donated the site of the present town square in 1859, and John S. Rike became the first mayor when the town was incorporated in 1873. The Little Flock Primitive Baptist Church was organized in 1855, the First Methodist Church in 1856, and the First Baptist Church in 1865. There were private schools in Farmersville as early as the 1860s. The public school system was established around 1890, and in 1988 the Farmersville Independent School District had over 900 students on three campuses.

Both the First National Bank at Farmersville and the Farmersville Times, a weekly newspaper, were founded in 1885 and were still in operation in 1988, when First Bank was the oldest independent bank remaining in Collin County and one of the oldest in the state. Farmersville began as a trading center for the farmers who were rapidly settling the area. In the early days the settlement was a major railroad shipping point for cattle and bois d'arc posts. In later years cotton, corn, and maize became major crops, along with onions and cantaloupes. A number of dairies were established. In the late 1980s most agricultural production was in wheat, maize, and beef cattle. Many residents commuted to jobs in neighboring cities.

Audie MurphyBeginning in 1935 an Onion Festival was held each year in Farmersville until it was suspended during World War II. In the fall of 1980 began the annual celebration of an Old Time Saturday, a day that commemorates the pretelevision days when "the country went to town" every Saturday all over Texas. The WWII hero and movie starAudie Murphy was born near Kingston, not far from Farmersville. He lived and worked in Farmersville for a time before his entry into the United States Army and used his sister's address in Farmersville as his own while he was overseas.

Farmersville is a charter member city of the North Texas Municipal Water District and owner of its own electrical system. In 1988 the community of 2,900, although growing steadily as a part of rapidly expanding Collin County, still retained much of its rural flavor. In 1990 the population was 2,640 and in 2000 it was 3,118.

© Copyright 2007-2011 - Pat Durbin - All rights Reserved
Site Design by PTC Webworks Pro